After a Season of Regional Conventions… What’s Next?
November 6, 2019
Well, I’m back!
I’ve been using this space to sort of chronicle the year, and to also communicate what’s happening. This entry is no different, except that I’ve had the awesome experience of getting to meet around 300 Sertomans individually, and have now seen six regional conventions in action! For those of you who haven’t been lucky enough to visit some other regions, I wanted to share the takeaways that I had from each of them:
- Southeastern/Caribbean: The history in your region is amazing! I loved being able to share in the traditions you all honor and hear about some of the fantastic events y’all are doing: dragon boat races, really massive golf tournaments, sponsoring a whole baseball league… it’s amazing!!
- Atlantic Coast: What a professionally run event you put on! And this region is so bought in to the hearing health mission… what a cool experience to hear from someone in UNC’s audiology department. I had a blast at your banquet. Thank you for a memorable time!
- Great Lakes: Thank you so much for having me at your convention! This group is definitely proud to be Sertomans, and it shows. Your training sessions gave everyone a way to talk, communicate and share ideas, and I felt like I was really in your region!
- Heart of America: Such a fun time in Waco! I’m really excited about the counter top loop system y’all showed us, and I’m proud to have been initiated into your region. You put on a great event!
- Mountain West: Great time in Denver! The opening concert was a lot of fun, and your educational sessions were great. If we can get your Regional Director to get everyone’s names right, y’all would be about perfect 😉
- Atlantic Coast: I had very little idea what to expect from this region. As you all know, this is the smallest region, and I was prepared for a tiny event. I was pleasantly surprised to see a very good sized group of warm and welcoming folks… you all asked the best questions of me. Thank you for having me!
- Great Plains: The one regional convention I didn’t get to… I am there next year… and from the pictures and reports, I’m sorry I missed it!! It looks like you had a really great convention with a whole lot of sharing ideas and a lot of fun. I wish I could jump in a time machine and get back to that weekend.
While I got to see the distinct culture of each region and appreciate them all, I also had a few suspicions confirmed: namely, that everyone has a deep love for the organization and for their own club. What I can say about Sertomans is this:
- They truly care about their mission and about improving peoples’ quality of life.
- Every club has a deep affinity for their own community and a real want to make it better.
- Sertomans truly care about each other. I know that seems like second nature to everyone reading this… but I promise you that’s not something you find in every organization.
Last but not least, a few questions consistently came up about the Annual Fund, Vision 2020 and Sertoma’s relationship with Hearing Charities of America. I wanted to address these with all of you to keep us on the same page. Read more about my answers to your questions here!
Now that I will have some additional time in the office, it’s time to start planning. We’ve got Action Teams working on club building, club structures, meetings, voting, and your staff is starting the process of working on a website redesign.
Additionally, we’re hard at work planning our Annual National Convention next spring. Registration will go live soon, but make plans to join us April 23-25 in Kansas City.
So in short… to everyone I had the chance to meet: thank you from the bottom of my heart for welcoming me into Sertoma. I can’t wait to show you what we’re working on!!