Board Meeting Outcomes
January 24, 2020
The National Board of Sertoma met January 9-10, 2020, in Kansas City, Missouri. Below are the decisions that will affect Sertoma policies. These changes will be communicated more specifically as procedures are finalized by staff.
The Board has voted to allow all members to search and view the member database.
Comment: We’ve heard for a long time that access to the member directory should be expanded, and we’ve listened! As of July 1, any member will be able to view any other member’s contact information.
You’ll have the opportunity to opt out of having your contact information shared at any time, and that opportunity will be publicized many times. You can change your preferences at any time by clicking here.
The Board has voted to remove the requirement for Affiliates to have an Audiologist or licensed Speech-Language Pathologist on staff.
Comment: Again, this is a change Sertoma clubs and members have asked for in the past. Please note that at this time, the requirements for continuing education grants and community grants have not changed.
The Board has voted to change the club building process.
Comment: A new manual is coming soon detailing all of the changes. However, the main changes include:
- The minimum number of members to charter a new Sertoma club is now 15.
- From the time of charter, a new club will have one year to hold one fundraiser (for any cause) and one hearing health activity. A CELEBRATE SOUND® event will fulfill both requirements.
This process will help streamline club building.
The Board has voted to create a National Membership classification.
Under Sertoma, Inc.’s bylaws, the Board of Directors can create nonvoting member classes. The Board has voted to create a National Membership classification. All current members are already National Members of Sertoma by virtue of payment of National Dues. National Members who are not members of clubs will pay the National dues directly to Sertoma. We’ll be able to use this new classification in a lot of new ways to help clubs:
- We’ll now be able to take prospective members through an entire join process online, and then present them to clubs as a next step of membership, versus potentially losing someone who’s excited about joining because of a delay in contacting them at the club level. We’ll be able to help recruit members for you!
- We’ll also be able to proactively invite past members to rejoin Sertoma and potentially let them know about clubs they may not realize even exist. In addition, we can proactively create clubs where we have a cluster of interested members but no cohesive network in place.
- Finally, we’ll provide an easy on-ramp for virtual members (whether they’re club or national members), since we’ll be signing them up nationally!
It’s important to note that this changes nothing about the way that clubs recruit and sign up members now. It simply creates another pathway to membership and a national pathway to recruit new members.
The Board has voted to create a Corporate Membership Classification.
Clubs have been asking for corporate memberships, and until now, it’s been difficult to include this under our current system. However, we will soon have memberships that are “owned” by a corporation rather than a person. Clubs will be able to use this membership classification to garner more local corporate support, and to also create more valuable partner/sponsor packages. Watch for details on this classification soon.