What Does Our Annual Fund Fund?
November 17, 2014
Every year we donate to the United Way, the Cancer Society, Girls Scouts, Boy Scouts, and the list goes on and on. Do you ask them where the money is going? I would guess to say that you do not. You believe that it is going to a necessary and worthy cause. Well Sertoma has a worthy cause and it is called our Sertoma Annual Fund. There are many questions out there regarding this fund and we have volunteers who help us educate Sertomans. I hope that each of your clubs ask the Fundraising District Representative (FDR) to attend one of your meetings and have this individual as your guest speaker.
We should be very proud of what Sertoma does with our funds to assist our Mission. These include:
- 50 $1,000 scholarships for hard of hearing or deaf students who have clinically significant bilateral hearing loss. Graduating high school seniors or undergraduate students must be pursuing a four-year degree to apply.
- 50 $1,000 scholarships for graduate students who have been accepted into a graduate level program in audiology or speech-language pathology in the United States.
Sertoman’s should be very proud that we provide $50,000 for graduate level study in communications disorders, more than any other single organization in the nation. Each year we have more than the 90 applications. Wouldn’t it be great if we could give more?
- Every Sertoma club can establish a relationship with a non-profit hearing and speech facility. This is called Adopt-an-Agency. This program helps support the professional staff and their programs at these facilities. Each facility can submit a grant for hearing health projects between $2,500 and $5,000. They can also apply for a Professional Education Grant ($425 per fiscal year).
- CELEBRATE SOUND Don’t Walk in Silence® is our new national fund and awareness event to promote hearing health in our communities. Half of the proceeds support’s the local community project(s) and the other half goes to support our scholarships, grants and public awareness campaigns.
- Looping is a technology that has taken Europe by storm. Sertoma has decided to help educate and loop America. A Sound Investment is a public awareness campaign that each club can use. Looping allows hearing assistive devices to serve as wireless loudspeakers, delivering clear, sharp, customized sound right from inside the ears.
- SAFEEars!® is an educational awareness program designed to motivate young people and adults to take action against noise-induced hearing loss.
- Through Hearing Charities of America (a subsidiary of Sertoma), we now have a donation center for hearing aids. You can go to www.hearingaiddonations.org.
Our Sertoma Annual Fund is doing outstanding things for our communities. Please consider a donation, participate in a CELEBRATE SOUND Don’t Walk in Silence event or put on a looping demonstration at a local venue like a church.
As Sertomans we need to get the word out about hearing health. Let’s do this together to make a difference!